I'm a multi-award-winning Film & Theater Director and--according the Hungarian National Film Fund's database-- Hungary’s most successful documentarian.
I'm the proud daughter of Olympian Swimmer, Museologist, and Teacher, Eva Erdelyi, and a distant relative of the "Hungarian Laurence Olivier," Zoltan Latinovits.
Due to my life-long absent father, I was raised by my mother. When I was six years old, my mom and I were in a gas explosion and I saw her burn to death. I was placed with my maternal grandmother but she was ill and passed away a few years after. I was then sent to an orphanage and later put in foster care. Due to a car accident, as a young adult I was homeless. I built my life from there.
My fascination with film and theater started quite early. At age three, I was determined to become a clown, and by sixteen, I was already acting at Budapest's most respected alternative theater, the Cellar Theater (Pinceszinhaz).
After moving to Hollywood, California, I directed, produced, and wrote the story of Torn from the Flag, the most accomplished documentary in Hungarian film history. The movie participated in the Oscar competition in the "Best Documentary" category. The eight-time-award-winning, sociopolitical picture is about the Cold War, the international decline of Communism, and the 1956 Hungarian Revolution. I made my film with Oscar-winning Cinematographer, Vilmos Zsigmond, and legendary cinematographer, Laszlo Kovacs. The following political notables appear in the documentary: Mikhail Gorbachev, Ronald Reagan, and Henry Kissinger.
According to several critics (Stephen Farber, The Hollywood Reporter) and historians (István Deak, Columbia University), Torn from the Flag is “the best documentary ever made” about this topic. The film was presented to the United States Congress and was also entered into the Congressional Record.
According to several critics (Stephen Farber, The Hollywood Reporter) and historians (István Deak, Columbia University), Torn from the Flag is the "most comprehensive chronicle of the Hungarian uprising yet caught on film" and “the best documentary ever made” about this topic.
My work and I have been awarded with the Hero of the Freedom Fight Award by the President of the Republic of Hungary, a Certificate of Celebration for Contribution to Cinema, Art and Culture by the City of Los Angeles, and a project of mine was also selected for the American Film Institute, AFI FEST Milestone Selection – described as "celebrating the best of the best"– along with films by Ingmar Bergman and Michelangelo Antonioni.
Other critics described my work as follows:
“Superb." – Chuck Wilson, LA Weekly
“The most powerful and important film experience of my life.” – Barry Farber, Talk Radio Network
“A quality production satisfying the highest expectations and demands.” – Leslie Eloed, American Hungarian Journal
After Torn from the Flag, I co-produced the five-time-award-winning feature-length film, Panic Nation. The documentary examines state sponsored immigration laws vs. federal immigration laws. It features former White House cabinet member Henry Cisneros, two-time Harvard graduate and syndicated CNN columnist Ruben Navarrette Jr., multi-award-winning writer of "Sesame Street" Luis Santeiro, and multi-award-winning actor Esai Morales.
My next project was the one-woman theater show, entitled CALLING AMERICA: DON'T HANG UP!! that featured 50characters. We received an invitation to the United Solo Theater Festival that took place in New York's Broadway District at Theater Row where we got standing ovation.
During my international career as a Director, Producer, and Actor, I have worked on over 40 film, theater, and television projects. As a Writer, I authored close to 200 articles and co-authored three Hungarian language books. One of them was ordered by 400 libraries around the globe.
Here is a complete list of my awards and accolades:
1. City of Los Angeles - Certificate of Celebration for Contribution to Cinema, Art and Culture (Panic Nation)
2. Republic of Hungary - Hero of the Freedom Fight Award (Torn from the Flag)
3. AFI (American Film Institute) FEST Milestone Selection (Torn from the Flag)
4. Panavision’s Young Filmmaker's Program (Torn from the Flag)
5. Technicolor Sponsorship (Torn from the Flag)
6. Alliance of Women Directors’ Television Shadowing Program, 2012
7. CINE Eagle Award - Best Independent Documentary (Torn from the Flag)
8. CINE Eagle Award - Best Independent Documentary (Panic Nation)
9. Beverly Hills Hi-Def Film Festival - First place (Torn from the Flag)
10. Broadway International Film Festival - Best Documentary (Panic Nation)
11. Madrid International Film Festival - Best Documentary Short (Touche: A Blind Fencer’s Story)
12. Mexico International Film Festival - Golden Palm Award for Feature-Length Documentary (Panic Nation)
13. Nevada Film Festival - Gold Reel Award - Docu Film Competition (Touche: A Blind Fencer’s Story)
14. Tiburon International Film Festival - Golden Reel Award (Torn from the Flag)
15. Minneapolis/ St. Paul International Film Festival - Best of the Fest Award (Torn from the Flag)
16. Seattle True Independent Film Festival - Best Documentary Feature - 2nd Place (Touche: A Blind Fencer’s Story)
17. Noches de Oklahoma - Special Recognition by the Latino Community (Panic Nation)
18. New York Spotlight On Festival Award - Best Ensemble Cast (The Insanity of Mary Girard)
19. Ventura County Reporter - REP Award for Excellence in Production (The Comedy of Errors)
20. Indianapolis International Film Festival - Audience Award - Best Documentary - 3rd Place (Torn from the Flag)
21. DocUtah International Documentary Film Festival - Audience Favorite Top Ten Award (Panic Nation)
22. BeeKay Theater Annual Playwright's Festival - Golden Apple Award (Bill & Coo)
23. Slow Film International Film Festival - Special Prize of the City of Eger (Torn from the Flag)
24. Slow Film International Film Festival - Special Prize of Agria Television (Torn from the Flag)
25. Slow Film International Film Festival - Festival’s Special Award (Torn from the Flag)
26. Hungarian Freedom Fighters World Federation - Certificate of Recognition (Torn from the Flag)
27. International Technology Institute - Memorial Medal (Torn from the Flag)
28. Corvina Cultural Circle - Certificate of Recognition
29. Thalia Studios - Certificate of Recognition - 20 Year Anniversary (Gloria Victis)
30. Thalia Studios - Certificate of Recognition - 10 Year Anniversary (Gloria Victis)
31. Torrance Cable Television - Best Short Nomination (Gems)
I believe in the powerful social influence of art, and that it elevates and beautifies the spirit of viewers and creators alike. Thank you being interested in my work and please don't hesitate to inquire about becoming a: